7.7.09

Etsy Success: Let's Get Together

etsysuccess

 

 


finder




gift

 

Get Etsy buttons for your blog or website here!



July 7, 2009

 

Hey all,

Mike here, but you probably know me as mudpuppy. One of the most powerful aspects of Etsy for me is the ability to easily connect with other artists and to use those connections for mutual benefit. Here are four ideas to help you increase your visibility, get more involved with our incredible community, and hopefully increase your sales:

 

.1. Use each others' work as props in your product photos.

ethanollie got me into doing this when I stumbled upon her gorgeous photography and exclaimed, "Hey, that's my vase!" (used as a prop in one of her product photos). Some things just go together like PB & J. My not so super secret tip: you can approach other sellers about exchanging work to include in your imagery. Make sure you include a link to their shop in your listing!

Required reading: Give Props: How to Style Your Photos

 

.2. Take advantage of others' strengths.

While at a local gallery exhibiting photobird's images, I was struck with the idea to contact her to photograph my work. I ended up with some amazing photographs for my shop and she got to keep all of the pieces I sent her. Simply include the proper photo credit and a link in your listing!

Need photo help? Check out Etsy's Virtual Labs today at 4pm ET. FancifulForm will be doling out tips for beautiful product photos!

 

 

.3. Collaborate and reap the rewards!

Let's face it. We're not all good at everything (unless you're somethingshidinghere), nor do we need to be! When I get an especially good idea that could incorporate another artist's talents, I approach them about a collaboration. One example are the ceramic mushrooms I made for the gorgeous terrariums by madebymavis. This one collaboration alone has increased traffic for both of us dramatically. Now that is passive marketing! When creating a collaborative listing, make sure to include an image of your work together and a link to each shop.

 

.4. Exchange exposure for E2E discounts.

I contact other Etsy sellers whose work complements my own for E2E (Etsy to Etsy) discounts on incredible stationery that I send either as thank you notes (along with orders) or as an introduction packaged with a sample of my work to prospective retail shops. It's good for both of us because they get extra exposure to shops they may not have considered and I get a beautiful first, and last, impression.

Editor's note: support your fellow Etsy sellers by checking out Etsy's Supplies category!


With all of these tips, the worst your fellow Etsian can say is, "no." Once they understand the benefits of the exchange, more likely than not, they'll jump on board... after all, it takes a village, right? Don't take it personally if they have to turn you down, they may simply be too busy or have other reasons for not wanting to participate.

Happy sales and all the best,

Mike

 
 

Forward email

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to handbag.mary@gmail.com by donotreply@etsy.com.

Etsy | 325 Gold St. 6th Fl | Brooklyn | NY | 11201

No comments:

Post a Comment