26.5.09

Etsy Success: Notes From a Buyer

etsysuccess

 

 


finder





Picks from
Etsy's Gift Guides

gift

gift

gift

gift

Visit the Gift Guides for even more great gift ideas!

 


Get Etsy buttons for your blog or website here!


May 26, 2009

 

Hello Fellow Etsians,

I'm excited to be the guest editor for today's Etsy Success newsletter. As an longtime buyer on Etsy and a former corporate manager at a major national retailer, I'd like to share my personal experience from the shopper's viewpoint. I've collected some key elements I take note of when shopping and want to propose a theory to get us started: What if you thought of your shop as your home and your customers as guests?

 

Your Shop Announcement: The Front Door

.When I visit your shop, I want to feel welcome and get an immediate idea of what your shop has to offer. I'm a buyer on a mission and I have little time for extensive scrolling. Shop announcements offer a chance to welcome me and briefly tell me what I'm going to experience in your shop. Trying to cram too much info into your announcement is like too much clutter in your home, and announcements that have several paragraphs quickly lose my interest. Remember to KISS = keep it simple and short. Check out Etsy's blog post on writing for an online audience for some great tips.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Policies: The House Rules

.Think about your policies from your guest's point of view, and ask yourself questions like:
* What tone do I use to 'speak' to my shoppers?
* Am I 'yelling' at my customers with ALL CAPS?
* Am I chiding customers because of a negative experience caused by another buyer?
* Did I, gasp, write out my entire set of policies in my shop announcement?

Keep in mind that you might need to remodel your policies over time. It's a good idea to review them frequently – especially with your buyer or guest's hat on. A colleague or friend also might point out things you haven't thought about. For more info on policies check out Etsy's blog post on creating top-notch policies.

 

 

 

 

 

Listing Details: The Home Décor

.A compelling listing brings your item to life. This is part of what makes my stay in your house memorable. I'm all for creativity, and I know that many fellow Etsians love to write, but maybe it's time to actually start working on that book you've always wanted to put down on paper – not in your listing descriptions. I love reading item descriptions that use sensual words to create a tactile experience – words that help me connect with your item through my monitor. Another great idea is using an anecdote to share about what inspired you to make the piece.

For help with listing descriptions, visit Etsy's blog.

 

 

 

 

 

The Gracious Host

.As a buyer, I want to hear from a seller as quickly as possible – whether I have a question or have just completed a purchase. I like to know that someone is on the receiving end of my transaction! I've had terrific service from sellers who send me a message almost immediately after purchase, whereupon they genuinely thank me for my business, let me know when they plan to mail my purchase, and when I can expect to receive it. A handwritten thank you note (not just "Thank you!" written on my invoice) lends an extra personal touch that resonates with me as a shopper. It's the little things that remind me I'm part of something bigger – the Etsy community. This goes a long way toward repeat business from me.

 

 

 

 

 

The Packaging: From One Home to Another

.Something as simple as packaging can really speak to me as a customer. It is unlikely that I will return to a shop that simply threw my items in a bag without even a thank you. Packaging shows you care and appreciate someone's business. It shows professionalism and warmth. It adds a personal element and often a touch of fun. There are a variety of sellers on Etsy who sell packaging – and you don't need to be a gift-wrapping guru to use them.

Red Envelope is a great example of a company who uses packaging as a reflection of their brand with their signature red gift box and white ribbon.

You can read more packaging tips on Etsy's blog.

 

All the best in making your house a home,

Loren Yaskin

 

P.S. For some insight into what makes customers leave, check out this post on HandmadeMarketing.org.

 

 

 

 

 

Forward email

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to handbag.mary@gmail.com by donotreply@etsy.com.

Etsy | 325 Gold St. 6th Fl | Brooklyn | NY | 11201

No comments:

Post a Comment